Sunday, June 15, 2008

OK, Heidi here, now I have to say that I saw The Happening on Friday when it came out and - wow - it was just...very very good. I mean I did not care for some of the goryish scenes but the subject matter hit very close to home since I am a supporter of taking responsibility for what we have done to the planet. I think the acting was amazing and I actually was brought to tears over Jon Leguizamo's situation.
So as much as I disagree about what this writer thinks of the movie - I just laughed at the parts that quoted what Mark said about his 'past life'. It made me want to dig out the old videos....those were the days.


Marky Mark Ponders Funky Bunch Reunion; Is The Happening Really That Assy?
Leah Collins (Dose Magazine)
Published: Friday, June 13, 2008

Considering the laughable early buzz surrounding Mark Wahlberg's new flick, The Happening, it might not be long before the actor begins sizing up other career options. Perhaps he'll turn to his older New Kid on the Block brother Donnie, marvel at the fact legions of cougars are still willing to toss their panties to the beat of "Hangin' Tough" and think, "Hey, maybe I should drag the Funky Bunch out of the underwear models' retirement home, wax the old superfluous nipple and take the push-up dance moves on the road for the ladies." Because really, could hammer dancing in overalls be any worse than starring in a movie where you have to do a scene (spoiler!) apologizing to a rubber plant?

In an interview with MTV, Wahlberg gave his seal of approval to brother Donnie and the rest of the New Kids' rebooted careers. "Whatever floats your boat. If the Rolling Stones can be wheeled out on wheelchairs then why can't the New Kids go out there?"

Indeed. So, perhaps the same logic should extend to the Funky Bunch? Sure, but will Marky Mark -- ahem, Academy-Award-nominated actor Mark Wahlberg -- be joining them? "Not a fucking chance," he said.

We're not exactly surprised by that response. However, as Wahlberg went on, he did drop this cheese bomb: his early '90s "hip hop" group has actually already been in talks for a reunion. Come on! All the underwear models in the world could not convince anyone to sit through a 45-minute set of nothing but "Good Vibrations" remixes.

"They asked me if I would partake and I had to decline," said Wahlberg. And for the 12 people in the world who are dismayed by that news, just know that Wahlberg is doing it for all the right reasons. He's just thinking of the children. His children, specifically -- not that a little family shame stopped brother Donnie from possibly scarring his own brood of junior Wahlbergs with his grown-up boy-band-ery.

"Part of me would love to run around and act like a freaking asshole again but I can't do that. I've got two kids," said Wahlberg. "I saw something on VH1 or something about me in the 90s and I thought, 'Oh my God, how am I going to explain this to my kids?' I have a few years to think about how to finesse it but I do think about it on a daily basis."

No comments: